Sunday, January 26, 2014

Coffee Creamer made with Stevia

I'm trying to cut sugar anywhere I can and went on the hunt for DIY coffee creamer recipes.  All I found was sugar, sugar, and more sugar.  With a little fine tuning and mix-n-match, I managed to recreate one of my favorite coffee creamers: Nestle's Caramel & Coconut (Samoa) GS Cookie creamer.  


Stevia-sweetened Caramel & Coconut Coffee Creamer:
  • 4 tablespoons stevia chocolate syrup 
  • 6 tablespoons stevia caramel sauce
  • base creamer recipe


I began with this basic coffee creamer recipe.  Not wanting the added sugar of sweetened condensed milk, and looking for that coconut flavor, I went with coconut milk.  I used unsweetened/first pressing coconut milk, not reduced fat.

Modified cream base recipe: (Note that the creamer base is the LAST step in mixing your creamer)

  • (1) 14-oz can unsweetened/first pressing coconut milk
  • 1-3/4 c. milk/cream (I used the remainder of the heavy whipping cream from the caramel recipe + enough milk to make 1-3/4 c.)
Now that we have a base recipe, I needed to figure out the flavors.  I found chocolate syrup and caramel sauce recipes using stevia! (original sources linked)

I cut both recipes in half.
Stevia-sweetened chocolate syrup -

  • 1/4 c. cocoa powder
  • 1/4 c. water
  • 1 tsp. stevia
  • 2 Tbs. honey (the original recipe called for agave, but I really dislike the after taste of it)
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
Directions: Mix the cocoa and water in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in the stevia and honey/agave nectar.  Remove from heat.
Caramel sauce -
  • 1/4 c. stevia
  • 1/2 Tbs. water
  • 3 Tbs. butter (melted)
  • 1/3 c. heavy whipping cream
Directions: Combine stevia granules and 1 Tbsp. water in a heavy, 2 to 3 qt. saucepan and turn heat to moderately high.  
Stir continuously until all of the water evaporates and your sugar substitute begins to caramelize and turn and amber/brown color. Approximately 5 minutes.  Add Melted Butter.  Once your mixture has caramelized, immediately, but carefully add your melted butter and continue to stir. Stir in Whipping Cream.  Remove from heat. Wait several seconds and carefully stir in your whipping cream.  Stir completely.






I had extra chocolate and caramel.  
I simply froze it in an ice cube tray for the next time. 
1 full cube = 2 Tbs.


Once syrup and sauce have been made.  Pour 6 Tbs of each in a 1-quart container.  The original recipe called for 2, and on my first batch I used 3, but the flavor just wan't right.  Pour in can of well shaken coconut milk, place lid on container and shake like crazy.  Measure out remaining whipping cream (I had about 1 cup) and enough milk to equal 1-3/4 c.  Add to bottle and shake more.  Viola!
Stevia-sweetened Caramel & Coconut Coffee Creamer:
  • 4 tablespoons stevia chocolate syrup 
  • 6 tablespoons stevia caramel sauce
  • base creamer recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment